Friday, February 27, 2015

All Things Star Trek


I will admit, that the death of Leonard Nimoy has made today a rather melancholy one for me.

You see, I grew up on Star Trek.  Call it my left-handedness (and hence right-brained-creative-sci-fi-dreamer in me), but in many ways it defined me.  Not in the sense of ultimate truth:  knowing right from wrong, and so on.  Rather, in shaping my life in such a way as to reinforce and enhance all those things that my parents and others strove to teach, and those things that make me who I am today.

Let's face it:  it was cutting edge stuff in its time.  The first African-American lead (Uhura), the portrayal of a Russian as trusted friend and crewmate (Chekov) at the height of the cold war with the Soviet Union, the interdependence of all humans working together for good with a multi-ethnic crew, and even an episode that pays homage to Jesus Christ (the "sun" worshipers in the episode "Bread and Circuses" actually worshiping "the Son of God" - from Uhura's revelation at the end).  All of this to "seek out new life and new civilizations" in  spirit of peace and exploration for the betterment of humanity.  And while it tanked after only 3 seasons, it's almost cult-like following since make it one of the most profound visions of the future of the 20th century.  Heck, even the first Space Shuttle was named in honor of the USS Enterprise!  Cell phones, memory disks and cards, and a whole host of things are reality now that were just sci-fi fantasy in Roddenberry's 1960's vision of the future!

However, all things must end, and this includes life.  I suppose that what is really going on for me is that as the cast and crew of Star Trek die off one by one, it only too well reminds me of my own mortality and advancing age.   That which I so dearly loved as a kid and still have great love for today is becoming a thing of the past.   I for one could not imagine a world where there was no hope beyond this life.  While Star Trek has certainly shaped a generation and has given us a rather poignant glimpse into the future, it too shall one day be forgotten, as we all will be.  And I pray not only for a world where the reality of evil that is so alive and well today could one day be a thing of the past, but that we truly could work together to tend to this planet that God has given us stewardship over, and that all might come to greater knowledge of the ultimate truth to be found in God alone.

I am, and always will be, A Trekkie.  Rest in Peace, Mr. Nimoy.  And I thank you for all that you taught me.

Leonard Nimoy's final internet message shortly before he died:  "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

No comments:

Post a Comment